Swapping cauliflower out for rice is a smart move on the 21-Day Weight Loss Breakthrough Diet. Cauliflower is an non-starchy veggie that you are allowed to eat as much as you want every day, whereas rice and other grains are limited. This recipe from chef Rocco DiSpirito allows you to have a more filling meal for lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 head cauliflower, grated on the small holes of box grater to the size of rice (about 1 cup)
- pinch of red pepper flakes, plus more as desired
- 2 cups fresh stir-fry vegetable medley, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped peeled fresh ginger
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp gluten-free, reduced-sodium soy sauce
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper flakes and grated cauliflower and cook until the cauliflower is lightly browned, about 30 seconds. Season with salt, transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
2. Spray the pan again with cooking spray and add the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are charred and softened, about one minute. Move the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the garlic and ginger to the exposed part of the pan. Cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Return the cauliflower “rice” to the pan and toss until everything is well mixed. Turn off the heat, add the tamari, and toss the mixture until everything is well coated. Season with salt and more red pepper flakes, if desired.
3. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and serve.